Friends of The Arboretum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Companion planting

2 posters

Go down

Companion planting  Empty Companion planting

Post by LauraGM Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Folks-
A great way to help control unwanted pests is planting what they don't like or planting what the good bugs do like.
To help attract the good guys, plant cilantro and let it go to flower. Plus you'll get seeds to replant!
Also try Cosmos, yarrow or Marigolds, These herbs and flowers attract the good bugs like ladybugs,green lacewings and parasitic wasps- these are tiny and won't hurt you but do a number on the bad guys!

Fun fact about cilantro- some people love it and others think it tastes like soap. It's actually a genetic thing! So if you're in the soap group, don't bother trying to learn to like it, it's not in your genes.

LauraGM

Back to top Go down

Companion planting  Empty Re: Companion planting

Post by FarmerSteven Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:42 pm

Hey Laura!!

Thanks for posting!! Great tips that I certainly will be looking to practice this year!

How long does it take for the cilantro to flower? Can I start planting it immediately or should I time it to bloom for when my tomatoes start producing?

I actually am a soap person with cilantro, but after I started eating Thai food I somehow learned to appreciate the soapiness. Now it even goes on my tacos.....in moderation. Smile
FarmerSteven
FarmerSteven

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraGM Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 pm

I would plant it the same time as peas. It loves cooler weather and can keep growing by reseeding with a little help from you, until a hard frost hits.
Soapy tacos? Make mine a burrito.

LauraGM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down